Flu season can start as early as October and last as late as May. Make sure you and your family are prepared each year.
Influenza (flu) is caused by a virus that can lead to a hospital visit or even death. But it can easily be avoided. Take these steps to protect yourself and your loved ones.
1. Get a yearly flu vaccine!
QualChoice makes it easy. Get your shot now, at any network pharmacy or from your doctor, at no out-of-pocket cost!* Just show your QualChoice ID card.
2. Take preventive action
- Avoid close contact with sick people and while sick, limit contact with others.
- Stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may have germs like the flu.
3. Take antiviral drugs if your doctor prescribes
- Antiviral drugs – but not antibiotics – can treat the flu.
- These drugs can make the illness milder and shorter.
- They may also prevent complications.
- Antiviral flu drugs work best when started within 2 days of getting sick. But starting them later still helps, especially if you have a high risk factor or are very sick.
Find more flu facts at cdc.gov/flu.
*If your pharmacy benefit is not handled by QualChoice, this benefit may not be available to you. Call QualChoice Customer Service at 501.228.7111 or 800.235.7111 Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to learn more about flu shots.
Content source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD)