Spring has sprung, and with it come outdoor events and activities for the whole family. Follow these tips to make sure everyone enjoys the season!
Keep your children safe in public.
According to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, roughly 800,000 children are reported missing each year, more than 2,000 a day. Fortunately, most of them are found quickly! But follow these precautions, just in case:
- Be aware of the surroundings. In a new location, familiarize yourself with the area.
- Teach your child basic rules about the dangers of streets, cars, and other vehicles.
What to do if something goes wrong.
- If your child is lost or missing, be ready to provide information quickly to the authorities. This will save them valuable time in searching for your child.
- Stay calm. You are more likely to remember helpful details if you can remain calm.
- Be prepared with a good description of your child. Include details such as height and weight, eye color, birthmarks, scars and specific mannerisms.
- Take a close-up photograph of your child every 6 months and keep it with you.
- Have your child fingerprinted. Check with your local police department for instructions.
Be prepared for the conditions.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Spring in Arkansas can be hot!
- Be safe in the sun. Even if the weather is cool or cloudy, always wear SPF 15 sunscreen or greater. Reapply often to all exposed areas.
- Watch out for bugs, especially at night, when mosquitos can be a problem. Carry bug spray or repellent.
Safety Tips for Kids
Teach your children to follow these safety rules, recommended by the FBI:
- Always tell a parent where you’re going, how you‘ll get there, who is going with you, and when you’ll be back.
- Plan a meeting point in case someone becomes separated, and plan times to check in with each other.
- Ask for help when you’re lost. If you get lost in a public place, ask someone who works there for help right away.
- Run and scream if someone tries to force you to go somewhere with them or tries to push you into a car.
Join us for Springfest, a free family event Saturday, April 7 in the River Market! Enjoy arts and crafts, food truck treats, local craft beer, vendors and family entertainment.
See the QualChoice community events calendar and join us at future events!