Vacation brings a nice break from daily routine. Unfortunately, the vacation mindset can influence us to take a break from healthy diet and exercise. And once the weight goes on, most people don’t work it off. Doctors say that these small weight increases can lead to obesity, diabetes and other health problems over time.
Here are some tips for how you can avoid vacation weight gain.
- Don’t abandon your normal routine.
- Don’t use your vacation as an excuse to overeat.
- If you normally limit your sweets, say “no” to that extra dessert.
- Stay on track with your daily calorie goal without exceeding it.
- Pay attention to how much you eat.
- You’re on vacation, so relax. Eat slowly – you may notice you are full sooner.
- Eat smaller portions by sharing your entrees with someone.
- Watch out for the bread on the table at restaurants – don’t eat too much of it.
- Pick healthier options at restaurants, like fish, grilled chicken and vegetables.
- Make a vacation health plan.
- It’s okay to have fun and splurge once or twice, but don’t fall off the wagon - make a plan for the food you’ll eat and how often.
- Avoid the breakfast buffet. If your hotel room has a kitchen, stock up on healthy breakfast options. Eating in for breakfast will help you save calories.
- Pack your favorite healthy snacks when you leave your hotel for the day. You’ll avoid grabbing something easy but unhealthy while you’re out.
- Find fun ways to get some exercise at your destination.
- Go on sightseeing walks or a morning run on the beach.
- Use your hotel’s exercise equipment.
- Visit your destination’s outdoor sites – hike, bike, or swim.
- Get your health back on track after your vacation.
- Stick to your regular exercise routine. Don’t strain yourself after a vacation.
- Instead of cutting meals, which will make you hungry, pack meals with lots of fruits and vegetables. These include fiber and will fill you up.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out any toxins you built up while on vacation.
For help setting diet and fitness goals or other health and wellness issues, call 800.228.7111 and ask to speak to a QCARE Health Coach.*
* Check with your health plan administrator to see if QCARE benefits are included with your plan.