If you make gradual changes to improve your habits, you are more likely to reach and maintain your goals. That’s because good health is way of life. If you’re ready to get started, these tips and facts can help you on your journey to wellness.
Work your way up to 2½ hours of exercise per week. Some ways you can do this are:
- Taking the stairs instead of the elevator
- Mall walking on rainy days
- Choosing activities you enjoy so you’ll exercise longer
Cut down on unhealthy habits. This includes smoking, alcohol and caffeine.
Get seven to nine hours of sleep per night. Too little sleep is associated with diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity and depression. If you have trouble getting enough sleep, try:
- Going to bed and getting up at the same times, even on the weekends
- Going to bed 5 minutes earlier each night until you are getting enough sleep
Drink plenty of water. Water protects your body by:
- Keeping your temperature normal
- Cushioning your joints and protecting delicate tissues
- Eliminating wastes
Eat less meat. Follow a healthy eating plan that emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains and fat-free or low-fat milk products.
Eat slower. Because it takes 20 minutes for your brain to realize your stomach is full, eating slower will help you take in fewer calories.
Don’t skip meals — especially breakfast. People who skip breakfast tend to be heavier than those who don’t. It’s important to let no more than five hours go by without eating. Waiting longer can lead to overeating later in the day.
If your QualChoice plan includes QCARE, we can help! Our Care Managers help members set and reach health and well-being goals. They also give support and education on issues like:
- Increasing activities
- Improving diet
- Handling stress
- Stopping tobacco use (Kick the Nic! program)
Get started today! Call 800.235.7111 or 501.228.7111 and ask to speak to a Care Manager.