Need motivation to get moving outdoors on cold days? How about this: Your body is less likely to overheat in cool air, so you may be able to exercise longer—and burn more calories! And exercise is great for combating the winter blues. Here are some helpful facts and tips to help you discover your love for cold-weather workouts!
Remember the benefits of exercise in general:
- Lower the risk of high blood pressure and stroke
- Improve aerobic fitness, mental health and cognitive function
- Reduce arthritis symptoms
- Prevent weight gain
Take easy steps to protect your body:
- Before you exercise outdoors on a cold day, spend a few extra minutes on your warm-up. Muscles have to work harder when the air is cold.
- Don’t forget to stay hydrated. Even in the winter, you lose water through sweating.
Dress in layers you can remove when you begin to sweat:
- Start with a thin layer of synthetic material which draws sweat away from your body.
- Avoid cotton, which stays wet next to your skin.
- Add a layer of fleece or wool for insulation.
- Wear an outer layer that is waterproof and breathable.
Help cure the winter blues:
- Spending time outside can feel mentally refreshing and peaceful.
- Exercising outdoors on a sunny day increases vitamin D.
Have you checked your QuicRewards lately? If you’re a QualChoice plan member, you can get special discounts on workout equipment, fitness memberships and health-related products!