We’ve gathered some great tips on building five healthy new habits. See which ones inspire you to take better care of yourself, and then get started!
Be more active:
- Work your way toward becoming active! Go slow at first and increase your time until you’re exercising 30 minutes a day.
- Pick physical activities that aren’t too hard and that you enjoy doing.
- If you can’t decide on an exercise, start taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Don’t let the weather stop you. Go for walks inside a shopping mall.
Make healthier food choices:
- Eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk
- Include lean meat, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts.
- Choose foods that are low in saturated or trans fats, cholesterol, salt, and added sugar.
- Stay within your daily calorie needs. For most people, this is around 2000 calories.
Get enough sleep to reduce your stress:
- A lack of sleep may increase your stress. It may also make you more likely to get an illness like diabetes, heart disease, obesity, or depression.
- If you sleep less than seven to nine hours per night, you may have more difficulty performing daily tasks.
- Make sure your bedroom is quiet and dark, and the air is comfortable for sleeping.
- Go to bed and get up at the same times each day, including on the weekends.
Give up smoking:
- Keep this fact in mind: Smoking kills more than 40,000 Americans each year.
- Ask your healthcare provider about a program to help you quit. Depending on your health plan, you may be able to enroll in the QualChoice Kick the Nic! program to quit tobacco use.
Protect yourself from illness and disease:
- Make an appointment with your doctor for a check-up or screening. Regular health exams and tests can find problems before they start.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water to prevent the spread of bacteria and viruses.
If your QualChoice plan includes QCARE, we can help! Our Care Managers help members set and reach health and well-being goals. They also give support and education on issues like:
- Increasing activities
- Improving diet
- Handling stress
- Stopping tobacco use (Kick the Nic! program)
Get started today! Call 800.235.7111 or 501.228.7111 and ask to speak to a Care Manager.