Ransomware is a type of malware (malicious + software = malware) often delivered through phishing emails. It locks access to a computer’s files until a payment–the ransom–is paid. The 2017 WannaCry ransomware outbreak affected nearly 200,000 companies in 150 countries.
Cybercrime like this is also targeting the healthcare industry. For example, phishing emails may use healthcare terms, prompting a busy reader to click infected attachments or links.
Technology helps keep malware at bay. But sometimes all it takes is for one person to click an infected link, open an infected attachment or visit an infected website.
Stay Secure! Below are some quick tips to help protect the data in your care:
- Think before you click: Many malware attacks begin with a phishing email.
- Don’t wait: Install operating system and security updates as soon as they are available. (For both Windows and Apple devices.)
- Back up your data: On personal computers, regularly back up your data to a cloud service. Or use an external hard drive that is then disconnected from your computer.
- Be careful what you download: Download applications only from trusted sources such as Apple’s App Store or Google Play. Avoid downloads from games or online ads. And remember to check an app’s security settings to limit its access.
- Use secure connections: Don’t assume a public Wi-Fi network is secure. Other users may be able to see your online transactions.
- Beware of SMS text messages from people you don’t know: Many viruses are spread as attachments to texts or emails.
- Enable all security features on mobile devices: This includes passwords, encryption and remote wipe.
At QualChoice, keeping your data safe is a top priority. To help protect your information, be sure to update your QualChoice My Account password and security questions often. On the My Account member home page, click on your email address in the upper right corner. From drop-down menu, click Change Password or Change Security Questions.
To ensure your sensitive emails to QualChoice are safe, use our Secure Email system.