When we go on vacation, it’s easy to leave our healthy routines behind. 24-hour buffets, bars and restaurants are hard for many people to resist. But it’s important to make healthy decisions, even on vacation.
Overeating and poor food choices can mean weight gain – and once vacation weight goes on, it can be hard to work it off. Frequent small weight increases can lead to obesity, diabetes and other health problems over time. Follow these tips to avoid vacation weight gain.
Make a vacation eating plan.
Make a plan ahead of time for what you’ll eat and how often.
- It’s okay to splurge once or twice, but don’t fall off the wagon.
- Focus your choices on local specialties; at the beach, eat fresh fish.
- If you have a kitchen, bring healthy breakfast foods to save calories and money.
- When you go out for the day, take healthy snacks like in-season fruits and veggies.
- Pick healthy options at restaurants, like fish, grilled chicken and vegetables.
Stick to your normal health routine.
Don’t over-indulge. You’ll enjoy your vacation more if you’re feeling well.
- If you normally limit your sugar intake, say “no” to that extra dessert.
- Track your calories to make sure you aren’t over your daily goal.
- If you normally exercise every day, find ways to do it on vacation.
Pay attention to how much you eat and drink.
The phrase “calories don’t count on vacation” can lead to weight gain.
- Don’t use vacation as an excuse to overeat.
- Share desserts and entrees to limit your portions.
- Relax and eat slowly. You may notice you feel full sooner.
- Watch out for the bread basket on every table.
- Dial back on alcohol. Drink calories add up.
Find fun ways to get some exercise at your destination.
Stay active while enjoying and exploring your location.
- Go for sightseeing walks or a morning run by the water.
- Take advantage of your hotel’s exercise equipment.
- Visit the local outdoor sites. Hike, bike, or swim.
- Track your steps to see who can walk the most on the trip.
Get back on track as soon as you get home.
If you fell off the health wagon on vacation, break those habits right away.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out the toxins you built up.
- Don’t push yourself too hard, but return to your regular exercise routine.
- Don’t skip meals. Instead, pack them with lots of fruits and vegetables.
Enjoy your vacation time!