988 is the new three-digit code for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. The Lifeline connects you to 24/7, free, and confidential mental health and crisis support.
When you call, text, or chat 988, you will be connected to trained crisis counselors in the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline network. These counselors are equipped to listen, understand, provide support, and connect individuals in crisis to the resources they may need.
You can use the Lifeline for yourself or a loved one. There are many ways to get connected to a Lifeline crisis counselor:
- Dial 988 to talk (multiple languages available)
- Text 988 (English only)
- Chat online with Lifeline Chat by visiting suicidepreventionlifeline.org/chat/
- Dial 1-800-273-TALK (8255) (multiplelanguages available)
Not sure whether you should call 988 or 911?
Call 988 if:
- You are having thoughts of suicide
- You’re experiencing ongoing anxiety or depression
- You have concerns about alcohol or drug use
- You are having thoughts of harming yourself or others
Call 911 if:
- Someone’s life is in danger
- Someone has overdosed
- You or someone around you needs emergency medical help
- You are in fear for your safety or the safety of someone else
Your mental health matters. QualChoice has mental health providers in our network to help you manage your mental health. For more information, please call us at 1-800-235-7111 (TTY: 711). We are here to help.
Download the flyer (PDF)